[tab:See with New Eyes]
February 22–24, 2013
Philadelphia Mennonite High School
860 North 24th Street
Philadelphia, PA (map)
[tab:Goals & Purpose]
To lay the groundwork for intercultural development of congregations, conferences
and organizations that is antiracist, transformational and Anabaptist. Leadership teams
and individuals of all faith traditions are welcome.
To equip each person and team with—
- A biblical basis, grounded in Anabaptism, for undoing racism and becoming intercultural
- An analytical framework for dismantling systemic racism and monoculturalism
- A vision for moving forward.
- members of new, existing, and expanding intercultural or anti-racism teams
- representatives from congregations, conferences, and organizations who are exploring the possibility of developing an anti-racism process
- interested, concerned individuals who want to learn more
This 2½-day anti-racism analysis/training introduces participants to the language and basic understandings of systemic racism in society and in the church.
Full-time participation is required for all participants! If you live beyond a 45-minute drive of Philadelphia, please do not commute, but make arrangements to stay in the city for the entire training.
Spanish translation is available. Please make request on the registration form.
Costs: Registration is $215 which includes a manual, 3 meals, and snacks. Out-of-pocket expenses include lodging, 2 breakfasts and 1 evening meal, transportation.
Cancellation: Due to the expenses of the training, registration fees are not refundable, but are transferable to another person for this training only.
Online registration, and credit card payment (through Pay Pal) are available!
- From Schuylkill Expressway (I-76 East)
Take exit 342, turn left onto West Girard Avenue. At dead end, turn right onto West College Avenue. Make first left onto Poplar. Turn right onto 24th Street. PMHS is on the right.
- From Schuylkill Expressway (I-76 West)
Take exit 342, turn Right onto West Girard Avenue. Follow directions above.
- Philadelphia Airport:
Take I-95 North to Schuylkill Expressway (I-76) West. Follow directions above.OR
Take the SEPTA Train to 30th Street Station. Take a taxi to 860 North 24th Street (adjacent to Girard College, corner of 24th and Poplar).
Check www.septa.com for details.
Car pooling is encouraged. Limited free off street parking is available.
- 2:00 pm Registration opens
3:00 Blockson African-American Collection
(meet at PMHS; optional but highly recommended)
- 5:00 Evening meal
- 6:00-9:00 Getting started
- 8:00 a.m. – Wave 1: Racism and Brokenness
- Lunch provided
- Afternoon – Wave 1: Continued
- 5:30 p.m. Enjoy a night on the town!
- 8:00 a.m. – Wave 2: Racism and Identity
- Lunch provided
- Afternoon – Wave 3: Anti-Racism and Healing
- 5:30 p.m. Departure
[tab:Co-sponsors & Lodging Options]
Local Host Homes
Stay with a family in the city. $9 per person, per night, $1 per breakfast, if offered. Indicate on registration form. Pay directly to hosts.
Live in or near Philadelphia? If you would like to be a host, contact Sharon Williams, 610- 277-1729.
Club Quarters, 1628 Chestnut Street, 215- 282-5000.
Embassy Suites, 1776 Benjamin Franklin Parkway, 866-539-0036
Blooming Glen Mennonite Church
Discipleship Year Program
Kingdom Builders Anabaptist Network
Mennonite Central Committee East Coast
Mennonite Central Committee U.S.
Nueva Vida Norristown New Life Stand Together Ministry Team
Peace & Justice Committee, Eastern District & Franconia Conferences
School for Leadership Formation, Franconia Mennonite Conference
The Servant Leadership School