Earlier this year, Franconia Conference’s board identified the fulfillment of its Vision and Financial Plan through the realignment of resources and the movement toward cultivating healthy and growing disciples, leaders, congregations, and connections. In response, the board and Executive Minister Ertell Whigham have discerned continuing priorities for conference staff and ministry.
Community children design mural for Plains Park (Hatfield, Pa.)
Some blank walls just call out to be painted. That’s what a group of members from Plains Mennonite Church (Hatfield, Pa.) decided in October 2010 as they walked through Plains Park, located next to the church, discussing how to enhance spirituality in the park. The blank wall of the kitchenette in the park was the perfect place for a mural. Since the wall faces the playground, the group chose the phrase “Jesus said, ‘Let the children come to me.’” to guide the design. Read more . . . .
On April 4 the Ministerial Committee approved Connie Detwiler for ordination as co-pastor at Lakeview Mennonite Church. Her ordination was on May 6.
Rose Bender was approved for ordination on April 4 as the pastor of Whitehall Mennonite Church. Her ordination is being planned for May 27.
Mark Your Calendars
For a complete listing of upcoming events, check out the Franconia Conference Calendar. The Conference office keeps a Google calendar of congregational and Conference Related Ministries events to help avoid scheduling conflicts—so please help us keep it up to date! Add your event to the calendar by sending an event invitation to firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Pastors & Conference Related Ministry Leaders’ Breakfasts 8-10 a.m. at the Mennonite Conference Center (unless noted). $6 donation requested.
Pastors’ Day Apart
|Franconia & Eastern District Forum
Notes to Pastors
- Forum Two, a conversation between Eastern District and Franconia Conferences, is scheduled for Thursday, May 24, 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. at Christopher Dock Mennonite High School in Kulpsville, PA. Building on the March 29 conversation that focused on the history of the 1847 split, the May 24 forum will look more at present-day realities of our conferences, where we are already collaborating, some sharing from a recent joint meeting of the Eastern District Conference Administrative Board and the Franconia Conference Board, and consider how God might be calling us to work together in the future. All interested persons are invited.
- You are invited to subscribe to MCUSA’s new online newsletter, On the Way!
This is a free, short, bilingual online resource through which we hope to start conversations about how we are living out our vision and mission that will help us learn from each other. Each of the first seven issues, which will come out every six weeks, will focus on one of the seven denominational priorities. We hope you’ll enjoy the content and consider sharing your responses or ideas via our website or Facebook page. Check out the latest issue or subscribe.
- Need a valid photo ID?
Come to the Voter/Photo ID Clinic to prepare applications for your photo ID and other required documents, such as Social Security cards and birth certificates with a raised seal. The clinics are open Saturdays, May 12, and June 9, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. at New Life Plaza, 25 E. Marshall Street, Norristown. For information, call 610-945-6398. See attached article and flyers.
- The clinics, assisting people to fill out the applications for the photo ID, birth certificates and Social Security cards, as needed.
- Funds to help people pay the fees for the photo ID and birth certificates, if needed.
- Snacks for people who come.
- Lunch for volunteers.
If you have any of these items or can help, contact Sharon Williams (610-277-1729).